Bore Fest at the KCOM as City fail to break down Reading

Today could have been an opportunity for Hull City to pull away from the relegation zone and ease the pressure on them slightly against struggling opposition, unfortunately they couldn’t take that opportunity. 95 freezing cold minutes later the KCOM crowd trudged home wondering what might have been again after a frustrating 0-0 draw.

The game started very slowly with both sides looking understandably nervous and edgy. Reading had the first chance but Alan McGregor was on hand to get down quickly to his right to push a free kick round the post.

City’s first chance came soon after when Fikayo Tomori crossed for Nouha Dicko who tried a scorpion kick that went just wide. Soon after Tomori was in the thick of the action again this time Ola Aina cross from the left and Tomori met it with a header that was blocked by a Reading defender.

Midway through the half City thought they had taken the lead through Jackson Irvine. Jarrod Bowen surged into the box and had a shot parried down low by the Reading keeper. A scramble ensued and Irvine ended up prodding the ball home but as he ran away to celebrate the ref gave a free kick to the visitors seemingly suggesting Irvine kicked it out of the keeper’s hands.

That was about as good as it got in the first half and the sides went in level at half time.

HT Hull City 0-0 Reading

The second half started just as slowly as the first with both sides looking cagey. The first chance of the half fell to Bowen when he latched onto a low ball at the back post but the Reading keeper was on hand to save again.

City looked comfortable and Reading were dreadful but as the game wore on they did start to threaten City against the run of play. They won a corner and Nigel Adkins will have been furious to see Yann Kermorgant rise unmarked at the back post to head the ball down towards goal. Luckily for City Alan McGregor was on hand to make a brilliant double save as he parried the initial header and tipped the rebound shot over the bar. Soon after Reading had a another header at the back post that went just wide. Suddenly City looked vulnerable.

That seemed to give City a kick up the backside and they completely dominated the last 15 minutes. Vito Mannone has been known for his howlers in the past but in fairness he had a great game today and was on hand three or four times in the final fifteen minutes to deny City a precious three points.

City kept pushing especially through Jarrod Bowen, Ola Aina and substitute Fraizer Campbell but they couldn’t find a way through and the referees final whistle was met with a sea of frustrated groans from the KCOM crowd.

FT Hull City 0-0 Reading

Results went City’s way today so they are still above the drop zone but if they can’t beat teams like Reading at home they are going to struggle because the visitors offered virtually nothing and didn’t exactly look rock solid at the back but City still failed to break them down. They need to fire themselves up again for the trip to Sunderland next weekend which is another vital game and one Nigel Adkin’s side need a result from.

About ferribyshep 130 Articles
I am a North Ferriby Fanatic and this blog will be dedicated to my seasons watching and following North ferriby united. Blog posts may be made by other North Ferriby fans with my permission

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply