HULL CITY HAVE WON AWAY! Barnsley 0-1 Hull City

De de de de, FRAIZER CAMPBELL! My god. What a day for every single Hull City fan! Fraizer Campbell’s 78th minute strike was enough to earn City that illusive away victory.

City travelled to Oakwell this afternoon to face a Barnsley side who had won 1 game in their last 6. City made 1 change from the draw at Norwich last weekend which saw City’s damned record away from home continue, with Kevin Stewart returning from injury to replace David Meyler, who was of course sent off last weekend.

It was Barnsley who started the first half the brightest, with multiple shots off target from the likes of Fryers, Barnes and star striker Tom Bradshaw. City we’re really poor in the first half; they were unable to string a pass together and each touch was far too big. The first real chance of the game fell to Barnsley’s Cameron McGeehan, who scraped the top of the bar from 20 yards out, with Allan McGregor rooted. City’s performance and lack of control continued until the half time whistle blew.

Half Time: Barnsley 0-0 Hull City 

The second half started as the first half finished, with Barnsley continuing to have the better of the chances. The first chance of the half fell to striker Ike Ugbo, who’s header drifted just over Allan McGregor’s crossbar. McGregor was then tested after he had to tip Adam Hammill’s shot round his right hand post.

After this, the game changer happened. Leonid Slutsky, like the two-and-a-half thousand City fans realised that something needed changing, and so brought on Fraizer Campbell and Jackson Irvine. What a decision this was. City started to string some good passing moves together and began to create more chances. Campbell’s energy was tremendous as ever and really got the players, and the fans, going again. Then, the match winning moment. Irvine’s header from a Larsson corner was saved well, but there was Fraizer Campbell who was on hand to send the away end into bedlam. Surely this was city’s chance? City had one final scare in added time with a comedic goalmouth scramble ending in a goal kick for the Tigers which signalled the end of a 427 day, 14 month and 24 game wait for an away victory.

Full Time: Barnsley 0-1 Hull City 

It must be noted that city fans should hold their horses before getting carried away. The performance up until Campbell and Irvine came on was calamitous, and is something that needs to be addressed. However, let’s enjoy the night, as city now stand just 5 points behind the play offs, with 2 crucial home games coming up against Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough.

Fraizer Campbell, well played sir.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply