City Ladies frustrated by lack of accuracy in one sided draw

Hull City Ladies were left frustrated with a point, as they drew 1-1 with Crewe Alexandra Ladies at Hull University this afternoon.

Going into the third league game of the season sitting at the top of Northern Division One on the back of scoring ten goals in the previous two matches the Ladies went into the game in buoyant mood but it turned into a frustrating afternoon for all concerned.

The Tigresses started the game brightly and all the action was concentrated in the visitors half and pretty soon they were on the attack. Hope Knight had the first shot of the game on 5 minutes after a great ball from Ellice Jackman, but it became the theme of the afternoon as her effort failed to trouble the visiting keeper.

The next Tigress chance came from a corner when the dependable Jackman rose above the Alex defence to send a header from the corner goal bound but was cleared and Lydia Clark couldn’t make the most of the rebound as it fell to her.

Knight who was a constant thorn in the side of the Alex defence all afternoon timed her run to perfection to latch onto a lovely through ball from Emma Westmorland but she could only pull her hurried shot wide of the target.

Hope Knight gave the Crewe defence nightmares all game.

The influential midfield duo of Ellie Tanser and Sophie Stamp were directing play in the middle of the park and on 19 minutes Tanser found Jo Symington rampaging down the left flank but her cross was dealt with by the away side who cleared away for another Tigress corner.

Pulling the strings in midfield, Ellie Tanser and Sophie Stamp.

The Tigresses were totally dominating the game, first Meg Render found Ellie Harding in a dangerous position but the Alex goalie saved. Some good pressing work from Lydia Clark resulted in yet another Tigress corner but Stamp’s shot was blocked and the danger averted. As the attacks continued Symington found Natasha Cooke from  other corner but the centre back could only hook a shot wide of the mark.

Render found Knight with a lovely pass but her shot was held comfortably by the visiting keeper before Harding turned her defender superbly, pulled the ball back for Symington but again the Alex keeper repelled the danger.

The home sides frustration was compounded 4 minutes from the break when after a rare attack Alex forced a corner and despite two or three attempts to clear the danger, Alex somehow managed to scramble the ball home for the opening goal. The Tigresses looked to strike straight back and had another three efforts on the away goal before the ref blew for the break. Half time 0-1.

The second half started in the same vein as the first ended with the Tigresses attacking relentlessly, Symington and Knight worked a short corner routine but Symington’s shot drifted harmessly away. Harding was the next to fire wide before she pressurised the Alex keeper into giving away yet another corner that Jackman met with a powerful header but again it was wide.

On 60 minutes Rachel Gay introduced Olivia Jackson and Katie Thompson in place of Clark and Emma Westmorland and it was Thompson who nearly had an immediate impact when she forced yet another corner after some great pressing. She stepped up to whip the corner over and was unlucky to see it bypass everyone in the area and so nearly creep in at the far post.

Moments later as Knight threatened  she was pushed over right on the ‘D’ much to the disdain of the visiting bench, from the resulting free kick Thompson shot went under the wall but the keeper got down well to save.

The visitors goal was under siege and was so nearly breached when a through ball caused havoc at the back and the defender headed towards her own net, only for it to drift agonisingly wide of the mark and out for the umpteenth Tigress corner.

On 70 minutes though the Tigresses were level from a brilliant individual goal from the impressive Thompson who picked the ball up on the left edge of the Alex box and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the net.

Katie Thompson’s effort was the moment of the match. A superb goal.

Try as they might though the Tigresses couldn’t find the goal to give them the win their build up play thoroughly deserved. Knight, Thompson, substitute Liberty Bott and Tanser all saw efforts either saved or go wide of the mark and as the game drew to a close Jackson’s effort with the last kick of the game came to nothing and Crewe somehow managed to nick a point in the most one-sided draws you will see in a long time.

Stacey Hubbard’s reserve side faced a strong Huddersfield Town Ladies development squad in the FA WPL reserve cup today but unfortunately despite a battling performance went down  0-4.

Watch our post match chat below with Tigress manager Rachel Gay and her thoughts on the frustrating defeat.

I will apologise in advance for the poor sound quality midway through due to a very strong wind blowing across the pitch and my first attempt at interviewing.


Today’s other Northern Division One Results:

Barnsley 0-0 Chorley

Bolton Wanderers 1-4 Morecambe

Chester le Street 2-6 Brighouse Town

Liverpool Feds 2-1 Leeds Utd

Mossley Hill 1-2 Newcastle United

The Tigresses are now third in the division on 7 points behind next week’s opponents, Brighouse Town and Liverpool Marshall Feds who both maintain a 100% record.

Photos courtesy of Dave Hare.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply