Report QPR 2:1 Hull City. Stoppage time heartbreak for Slutsky’s side

Hull City headed to Loftus Road today looking to get back on track after their midweek defeat to Wolves. They had to content with injuries and other issues though which made the task even harder. Sam Clucas was not involved in the game despite travelling to QPR while Kevin Stewart made his first start of the season.

It appeared that Leonid Slutsky rushed Stewart into the team as he had little other options left to his disposal. Unfortunately this back fired on the Russian as Stewart limped off after 9 minutes and was replaced by Adama Diomande.

It was a fairly even game early on but QPR had the first real chance. They carved City up down the right hand side but luckily for City Luke Freeman dragged his shot wide. Hull responded quickly and created their first chance soon after. A slick move in midfield resulted in Diomande dragging a shot wide from the edge of the area.

Jarrod Bowen was impressing again and taken on the extra responsibility given to him despite his tender age. He created a good chance for himself when some fancy footwork got him past two defenders before his shot was tipped over the bar by Alex Smithies.

It wouldn’t be long before Bowen got his reward for his positive play as he opened the scoring late in the first half. David Meyler swung a cross into the box which found Bowen. He did well to shrug off LuaLua before sliding the ball under Smithies and into the net. He really is a talent this kid! 0-1.

The rest of the half passed without incident and Slutsky will have been delighted to see his team take a 1-0 lead into the break.

HT QPR 0-1 Hull City

The gaffer decided to make a substitution at half time that appeared puzzling at best. Fraizer Campbell was sacrificed and replaced by defender Ondrej Mazuch. A blatantly defensive sub like this may have been understandable with 15 minutes to go but at half time? We’re not so sure.

QPR dominated the second half from the start as they looked for an equaliser. City were camped in their own half but to their credit they were withstanding everything the hosts threw at them. That changed when Matt Smith was introduced by Ian Holloway just after the hour mark.

He was involved in a couple of chances shortly after coming on but saw two headers fly off target. The QPR faithful could sense a goal was coming and they almost had one to cheer when another substitute Idrissa Sylla turned in the box and fired a shot goalward only to see it cannon off the post and away to safety.

Slutsky’s tactics invited the home side onto City and it was only a matter of time before they scores. Unsurprisingly it was Smith who got the equaliser. He headed home a cross from the left wing and suddenly City were hanging on for a point at 1-1 with not long left.

It looked like City had managed to cling on for a point but QPR kept attacking and found a winning goal in stoppage time. The impressive Smith saw Alan McGregor charging towards him, he dinked the onrushing keeper and Sylla was on hand to help the ball into the empty net to the delight of the Loftus Road faithful.

Idrissa Sylla celebrates the winning goal

Incredibly that wasn’t the end of the story, City almost grabbed an unlikely equaliser. In fact it was hard to believe the ball didn’t end up in the back of the net. Mazuch saw a header cleared off the line before Smithies made an excellent save and the rebound was met with a shot that trickled across the goal line but not over it. That summed up the day for City and shortly after that the final whistle signalled their second successive defeat.

FT QPR 2-1 Hull City

After a positive start to the season things are starting to fall apart for City. They lost Kevin Stewart to injury today as he was clearly rushed back too early while the Sam Clucas saga continues to rumble. Slutsky said after the game he was missing because he is preparing to join a Premier League club. He also confirmed Fraizer Campbell was forced off through injury but the decision to replace him with a centre half was still baffling.

City now have to regroup ahead of their clash with Bolton at the KCOM Stadium on Friday night. A couple of signings wouldn’t go amiss and hopefully Ehab can see that after making a rare appearance at the game today.


About ferribyshep 130 Articles
I am a North Ferriby Fanatic and this blog will be dedicated to my seasons watching and following North ferriby united. Blog posts may be made by other North Ferriby fans with my permission

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply