Ferriby 0-6 Scunthorpe United – Many positives to take for Steve Housham’s side despite result

In a game of two halves, the gulf in quality between Ferriby and Football League outfit Scunthorpe United was clear after the away side romped to a 6-0 victory at the Eon Visual Media Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Scunthorpe played the game with two starting XIs, with the first half XI including the likes of Matt Gilks, ex-Ferriby man Levi Sutton, new signing from Bradford City Rory McArdle, and first team regulars Hakeem Adelakun, Liam Trotter and Neil Bishop.

Ferriby started the game with a line up that is likely to resemble that of the first game of the season on the 5th August. The signing of new goalkeeper Ross Durrant was announced 10 minutes prior to kick off, and so joined fellow new signings Jake Picton, Joe Pugh, Bobby Johnson and Joel Ambula in the starting Line Up. Regular stalwarts were included, such as Mark Gray, Jake Skelton, Jordan Cooke, Danny Emerton, and the return of midfielder Simon Russell. There was a mysterious inclusion in the starting line up, with just the name “Alberto” being given.

Ferriby started the game positively, with Ambula having a shot saved by Matt Gilks after only 6 minutes. This positivity continued throughout the first half, with some brilliant football being played. Scunthorpe however did have their chances, with Jonny Margetts being bundled over in the box by Durrant which, in a regular fixture, would probably have been a penalty. The Scunthorpe pressure continued and after 14 minutes, Tom Hopper had a header cleared off the line well by Bobby Johnson. Ross Durrant then made a world class save to deny Margetts again, who always looked lively.

The first goal came from ex-Hull City youngster Conor Townsend – a fantastic free kick from the edge of the box after Tom Hopper was fouled clumsily by Mark Gray. Five minutes later it was 2-0, with a wonderful move starting with Adelakun and finishing with Margetts slotting the ball bast Durrant with a little help from the inside of the post. And that was half time. A pretty accomplished performance from Ferriby who played some cracking stuff – many positives for Steve Housham to take.

The second half however was a completely different story. Ex Ferriby goalkeeper and last season’s Player of the Year Rory Watson started the second half in goal for the Iron, and former striker Kyle Wootton started the second half alongside league renowned Paddy Madden and the big Dutchman Kevin Van Veen.

Although Ferriby started the half making no changes, it was soon to be the majority of the youth side out on the field, with Kojo Keyi, George Bell and Kallum Findlay getting run outs just to name a few. This marked the beginning of the onslaught from Scunthorpe. Wootton made it 3-0 after 54 minutes after a good ball from Madden left him totally unmarked to slot home past young goalkeeper Lewis Excel.

It was 4-0 moments later, with Noel Burdett firing in at the far post. Wootton made it 5-0 by taking the ball round Lewis Excel and calmly slotting the ball into an open net. The final goal came through new signing Cameron Burgess, after he headed in from a corner.

So, although the scoreline says otherwise, there were many positives for Steve Housham to take from the game in preparation for the new season – he will be pleased that so many of the youth team managed to get a run out against quality opposition, and also that the football being played was free-flowing and threatening.

Ferriby next face Brigg Town away on Tuesday night, with the visit of Leeds United to the Eon Visual Media Stadium next Wednesday.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply