Hull FC back on track after solid Leigh win

Hull FC were in danger of reaching crisis point as they travelled to the Leigh Sports Village on Easter Monday.

After three games without a win and conceding 106 points in two home games it’s fair to say this was the lowest Hull had been confidence wise for a long time. They needed a positive result to get them back on track. It didn’t necessarily have to be pretty they just needed to win and thankfully they did just that.

To be fair to Hull they played very well in the first half and didn’t look like a team that had just suffered two hammerings on home turf. They were solid in defence and looked bright in attack as Marc Sneyd and Albert Kelly controlled the game.

Hull opened the scoring through Liam Watts. After a sustained period of pressure on the Leigh try line Marc Sneyd unlocked their defence as he fired a quick pass that sent Watts through a gap to crash over the line. This was the spark Hull needed and they soon took control of the game.

Carlos Tuimavave was next to score for Hull. The Kiwi has been badly missed following his ankle injury after being one of Hull’s best performers in the early part of the season. Making his return at Leigh Tuimavave settled back in with ease and his first try was a fine individual effort. Sneyd found him with a pass and he fooled the Leigh defence with a left foot step before putting on the afterburners to sprint over the try line without a hand touching him. It was an excellent try and put Hull well and truly in the ascendancy.

Hull’s third try was another impressive effort. Marc Sneyd, who was very influential in the game, stepped in at dummy half and put an exquisite kick through for Albert Kelly who timed his run to perfection to ground the ball under the sticks. It was a fantastic try and underlined the understanding developing between the two half backs. Sneyd converted and Hull took an 18-0 lead into half time.

Hull started the second half as they ended the first and were the first to score in the second period. This try was orchestrated by Jez Litten who really stepped up to the plate and had a fine game. He scooted from dummy half and surged through a gap in the middle of the Leigh defence. He found Liam Watts on his inside who in turn found Carlos Tuimavave who sprinted to the line and dotted the ball down under the sticks. This sealed the game and illustrated the talent Litten possesses.

Despite Hull’s dominance for three quarters of the game the final twenty minutes will have been a little too sloppy for Lee Radford’s liking. Liam Hood and Ryan Hampshire went over for the hosts to make the final score line a slightly more respectable 10-24. Make no mistake Hull were good value for the morale boosting win but in the tougher games that lie ahead they will need to remain focussed for the full 80 minutes.

Lee Radford will have been delighted to see his side pick themselves up from the previous two games and come away from Leigh with the two points. They now have to prepare to face the table topping Castleford Tigers at the KCOM Stadium on Sunday in what is set to be another tough test of Hull’s top four credentials.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply