Ferriby’s relegation confirmed after Barrow defeat

Ferriby travelled to Cumbria today knowing that nothing less than a win would do. Trailing the team in 20th place by 9 points with only 9 more available Ferriby needed to win all three games to have any chance of survival. Unfortunately that didn’t happen and North Ferriby United will be a National League North side again next season.

Ferriby started brightly and took the lead after just 4 minutes. Many Ferriby fan’s player of the season Reece Thompson was the scorer as he continued his impressive first season with The Villagers. A long throw from Taron Hare was flicked on by Barrow defender Moussa Diarra and the ball fell to Thompson who was left with a tap in at the far post. This was the perfect start for Ferriby as they took control of the game early on.

Despite the positive start made by Ferriby, Barrow weren’t behind for long. Moussa Diarra was again involved but this time in a positive way for his side. He headed on a throw in and Jordan Williams rose unchallenged to head the ball home.

The game was taken away from Ferriby immediately before half time. Most of the half had been end to end and Ferriby had lots of possession but Barrow hit them with two sucker punches shortly before the interval. In the 43rd minute Shaun Beeley won the ball just outside the penalty area, evaded two defenders and buried a shot in the bottom corner. This was a blow for Ferriby and it was made even worse less than a minute later. This time a defensive mix up gave Richie Bennet an easy chance to score. He obliged with his shot and this left Ferriby trailing 1-3 at half time which was no fair reflection on the first half action.

Despite relegation now being almost a certainty Ferriby played excellently in the second half. Robbie Tinkler had the first chance when he saw his header saved before Sam Topliss had a shot blocked. The home crowd were becoming restless because they needed a win to keep their playoff hopes alive and Ferriby continued to put pressure on their team.

Connor Oliver was the next to have a shot saved before a diving header from Taron Hare was also pushed clear by Barrow goalkeeper Jon Flatt. Ferriby’s best chance to find a second goal came in the 83rd minute. Taron Hare was fouled in the box and a penalty was given. Connor Oliver took it and saw his shot cannon off the inside of the post and away. This was the final nail in Ferriby’s National League coffin as they went on to lose 3-1.

Another gallant effort from Steve Housham’s side ultimately resulted in defeat and relegation. Despite the result it has been a remarkable season and Steve Housham and his side should be immensely proud. They will now look to get positive results from their final two games before preparing for next season back in the National League North.

About ferribyshep 130 Articles
I am a North Ferriby Fanatic and this blog will be dedicated to my seasons watching and following North ferriby united. Blog posts may be made by other North Ferriby fans with my permission

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply