Second Half Capitulation denies FC a win

Last Friday night at Wigan Hull won the game but only just. They had been 22-0 up after 50 minutes but ended up hanging on to win by just 2 points. Lee Radford was left frustrated after the game and would have been keen for them not to let a lead slip like that again. Unfortunately for Radford and the Black and White army that filled the away end at Warrington they saw their team do just that. They led 20-8 to half time but only added 2 more points in the second half and went on to draw 22-22. This was immensely frustrating as Hull looked to be cruising in the first half but somehow found a way not to win as they looked tired in the second half. Radford will be keen to rectify this trait that is creeping into his teams play. They must close games out if they want to be successful this season.

Hull got off to a perfect start in the game as they scored via a reliable source. Albert Kelly has been absolutely sublime this season and he opened the scoring early on when he received the ball, threw an outrageous dummy and stepped through two defenders to score. Sneyd converted to make it 0-6 but Warrington hit back quickly when Matty Russell scored the first of a hat trick of tries. He was too strong for Josh Griffin and Marc Sneyd and forced his way over the line close to the touchline.

Warrington then had a spell of pressure in the game as they looked to take the lead but it was Hull who scored next. Warrington were attacking ten metres out from the Hull line. They sprayed the ball wide and Jake Connor did brilliantly to read the pass and he intercepted it to race 90m to score. Sneyd again converted to give Hull a 4-12 lead.

Sneyd then kicked another penalty before Hull scored a try right out of the top drawer. Sika Manu was immense again on the day and he set up the third try as the beat four defenders to break up the middle. He found Jamie Shaul on his inside who raced 70m to score under the sticks. Sneyd’s coversion made it 4-20 and it was looking like an easy win for the Black and Whites.

A turning point in the game came right at the end of the first half when Matty Russell again forced his way over in the corner with only 30 seconds to go in the half. This was a poor try to concede from Hull’s perspective and may well have had a bearing on how that game turned out. Gidley missed the conversion making the half time score Warrington 8-20 Hull FC.

The second half couldn’t have gone much worse for Hull. They extended their lead early in the half with another penalty but that was as good as it got for Lee Radford’s side. A penalty piggy-backed the Wolves upfield and Darryl Clark forced his way over the line taking 3 Hull defenders with him to make it 14-22.

Hull then missed another shot at goal from a penalty and they were punished soon after when Matty Russell completed his hat trick. Once again he squeezed over in the corner and this time Gidley managed to convert the try from the touchline to make it 20-22 with ten minutes to go.

Warrington earned a share of the spoils with a few minutes to go when Gidley kicked a penalty from 30 metres out. Hull tried to get into drop goal range but it didn’t happen for them and they came away from the game thinking about what might have been as they drew 22-22.

Lee Radford will be frustrated that his side didn’t learn their lessons from last week and they certainly seemed to miss Danny Houghton’s presence in the middle in the second half. Warrington made metres for fun and won the ruck easily in the second half. Hull will have to improve for next week when they welcome the Salford Red Devils to the KCOM Stadium.

About ferribyshep 130 Articles
I am a North Ferriby Fanatic and this blog will be dedicated to my seasons watching and following North ferriby united. Blog posts may be made by other North Ferriby fans with my permission

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply